torsdag den 21. marts 2013

Salon of Hercules

The Hercules Salon connects the Northern Wing with the Grand Apartments of the King. The room was commissioned by Louis XIV in 1710 but when he died shortly afterwards the building process was put on hold until 1724 during Louis XV. The room was finally finished in 1736.
Louis XV used this room as a ball room because he thought that the Mars Salon was too small and the Hall of Mirrors too large. The very first ball held in this salon was a celebration of the marriage between Marie Louise-Élisabeth and Infante Filipe of Spain on January 26, 1739. During the reign of Louis XVI the salon was used for political reasons such as receiving foreign ambassadors.

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar