In the years 1668-1678 the king's council met in the Salon of War until the Cabinet du Roi took over that purpose. It was quite a narrow room since it retained the shape from the original hunting lodge. The walls were completely covered in mirrors in golden frames. The room receives very little natural light which was helped by the mirrors and the candles.
In 1701 the cabinet was made larger by diminishing the Salon de Perruques. This meant that some wooden panels could be inserted around the large mirrors. These would carry the arms of France and the symbolic fleur-de-lis.
Rather surprisingly, a daybed was part of the furniture since 1684; the king would receive his family here after dinner and give audiences. Also, the king's personal taste shone through through the decorations. Several vases and precious objects were on display.
The main piece of furniture was a large table covered in cloth. The king would meet with his ministers and work between six and ten hours a day. This would happen every day immediately following his official levée.
However, the alabaster table was for the king only. His ministers would be placed on smaller round tables arranged around the king. Only the king and the chancellor were given armchairs - the others sat on stool.
Louis XV would later combine this chamber with the Salon de Perruques.