The Vicomtes de Turenne
Henri de La Tour d'Auvergne was the founder of this surviving branch. He was made Duc de Bouillon and Prince de Sedan upon his marriage to Charlotte de La Mark in 1591 but their marriage ended childless. He then remarried to Elisabeth Flandrika d'Orange-Nassau with whom he had seven children: two sons and five daughters.
Frédéric Maurice de La Tour d'Auvergne was the eldest surviving son of Henri and Elisabeth and inherited the title of Duc de Bouillon. He married Eleonore-Catherine-Febronie de Wassenaar de Berg; they had three sons:
The eldest, Godefroy, became the next Duc de Bouillon and was married to Marie Anne Mancini. The second son, Frédéric Maurice, was given the title of Comte d'Auvergne while their third son, Emmanuel-Theodore, became a Cardinal.
The granddaughter, Armande, of Godefroy married the Duc de Melun while the grandson, Charles-Godefroy, married a woman from the Polish nobility, Marie-Charlotte Sobieska. Charles-Godefroy and Marie Charlotte had two children: a son and a daughter. Their son, Godefroy Charles Henri, became the last Duc de Bouillon since he had no children of his own. He did, however, adopt a child but titles were not carried on to adopted children.
Titles held by the House of de La Tour d'Auvergne
Duc de Bouillon
Vicomte de Turenne
Special honours and notes:
- Henri de La Tour d'Auvergne, Vicomte de Turenne served as a Marèchal de France
- Godefroy Maurice de La Tour d'Auvergne was grand chamberlain to the King
- Louis Henri de La Tour d'Auvergne erected the Palais d'Élysée which later became the home of Madame de Pompadour. He was also made governor of both Poitou and d'Auvergne
- Armande de La Tour d'Auvergne became the Princesse d'Epinoy and Duchesse de Joyeuse
- Godefroy-Charles-Henri de La Tour d'Auvergne was made a Peer of the Realm, Marèchal de France, Grand Chamberlain and deputy to the Estates-General when the revolution broke out
- Marie-Louise de La Tour d'Auvergne was executed in 1793 during the revolution
Houses connected to by marriage:
- House of de la Trémoille
- House of Rohan
- House of Guise
Image gallery of the House de La Tour d'Auvergne:
|Louise de Lorraine - |
wife of Godefroy-Charles-Henri
|Godefroy-Maurice who married Marie Mancini|
|The founder - Henri de La Tour d'Auvergne|