fredag den 5. december 2014

Saint-Germain-en-Laye

Saint-Germain-en-Laye has a long history dating back to 1122. It has the honour of being the birthplace of Louis XIV who, as an adult, would use the château as the base of his court - until Versailles was built. Originally, there was a new and an old castle which combined made up the royal palace but Louis XIV had the old palace - long neglected - demolished in the 1660s.

Andre Le Nôtre was given his chance to impress the King when in 1669 he was tasked with redoing the gardens which he completed four years later.

When Louis XIV had definitely moved his court to Versailles he let the exiled King James II of England use Saint-Germain-en-Laye as his royal residence. Unfortunately for the English King he would never return to England and he is buried in the nearby church. The château never really regained royal favour and continued to serve as a residence for the exiled English royal family.






Courtyard



View of the castle and gardens in 1614

The floor plans:


2nd floor

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar