søndag den 10. august 2014
The Royal Walk
In 1680 le Nôtre was done adding to the plain and had grass planted there which gave it it's other name of "Tapis Vert" or the Green Carpet. The massive lawn measures 335 metres in length and is 40 meters wide. It is the very centre of the entire garden; from this long stretch of land paths lead to each grove. Actually, the "Tapis Vert" was already a part of the château when it was a mere hunting lodge during Louis XIII but le Nôtre had it considerable widened. Also, twelve sculptures and twelve vases lines the path, each a work by the French art academy in Rome and they were imported in the latter part of the 17th century.