lørdag den 10. oktober 2015

The Domes

This particular grove must be one of the scenes that saw the most alterations in its lifetime - likewise the name was changed every time. At first le Nôtre was set to work and finished the grove in 1675; at the time it was known as the Grove of Fame due to the statue depicting fame which was placed in the middle.
In 1677 Jules Hardouin-Mansart constructed two gorgeous pavilions - the roofs of which were shaped like domes. This gave the grove its new name and that name has stuck even through later alterations. Sadly, the two pavilions no longer exists.

Courtiers promenading around the pavilions



Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar