Saturday, 19 October 2013
The Chimay Staircase
Originally this was the location of several "closets" (small rooms) of Madame de Maintenon but they were demolished in 1830 by Louis-Philippe and this staircase was placed in their stead. It was created to link the South Wing with the Central Wing - it is named after the Princes of Chimay. The staircase begins near the Queen's apartments and leads up to the attic. Most people familiar to the design used at Versailles would immediately identify the monogram "MA" as that of Marie Antoinette but in this case it is not hers but that of Marie Amélie which has been crowned by two cupids.