Sunday 17 June 2018

Quotes: Reign of Louis XVI

Since correct quotations are always somewhat obscure feel free to comment if you have heard that a certain quote has been attributed to someone else.

"It really pains me to see that Monsieur d'Orléans, my kinsman, has voted for my death"
MLouis XVI


"Courage! I have shown it for years; think you I shall lose it when my sufferings are to end?"
Marie Antoinette



"He will probably never have the strength nor the will to rule by himself"
Comte de Mercy-Argenteau (on Louis XVI) 


"How disagreeable! How tiresome!"
Marie Antoinette (on the levée ceremony)



"Maurepas does nothing, Turgot doubts nothing and I doubt everything"
Lamoignon de Malesherbes (on the ministers)


"I die innocent of all the crimes laid to my charge; I pardon those who have occasioned my death; and I pray to god that the blood you are about the shed may never be visited upon France"
Louis XVI's last words 

No comments:

Post a Comment